Background

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Super Fruit

A great nurse and fellow colleague has got me hooked on a new snack... cherries. I always knew I loved maraschino cherries as my Grammy would load up my Shirley Temple at the VFW, but I don't really remember ever indulging in a regular pitted cherry. I now can't get enough!! Not only is the sweet little red fruit delicious, but so good for you!


"A recent study from the University of Michigan reveals new evidence linking cherries to heart health benefits. The study found that a cherry-enriched diet lowered total weight, body fat (especially the important “belly” fat), inflammation and cholesterol-all risk factors associated with heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, being overweight or obese, in particular when the weight is concentrated in the middle, is a major risk factor for heart disease. As nearly two out of three Americans are overweight, emerging studies like this are important in examining the role diet may play in disease management and prevention." (I took this from the Health and Nutrition website)

They are a little spendy, but if you find them on sale INDULGE!

1 comment:

  1. Yumo - we love them too! You should try Rainer Cherries (yellow/red color). They are also a bit spendy, but when you find them, GET THEM. You'll be addicted. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete